The RSE is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
The RSE may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy is effective from 1st May 2010.What we collect
We may collect the following information:
· Name and job title
· Contact information including email address
· Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
· Information relevant to data analysis
· Information relating to grant and/or award applications for analysis and evaluation purposes
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
· Internal record keeping.
· We may use the information to improve our products and services.
· We may periodically send promotional emails about RSE events or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided.
· From time to time, we may also use your information for research and evaluation purposes. You may be contacted by email, phone or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
· Whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
· If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by writing to or emailing us at email@example.com
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so.
Freedom of Information
The RSE will handle any requests it receives for information through rights under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (“the Act”), which came into force on 1 January 2005, as if it were required to comply with the Act.
All requests received will be dealt with promptly – and in accordance with the Act, within 20 days of being received. Requests for information, which relate directly to a RSE Fellow, will be directed to the General Secretary. All other requests will be directed to the Chief Executive and in his/her absence, the Deputy Chief Executive.
No information will be provided without the prior approval of the General Secretary (where appropriate) or the Chief Executive or the Deputy Chief Executive. A record will be kept of all requests made and information provided and will be reported to the RSE Executive Board.If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to:
The Royal Society of Edinburgh
22-26 George Street
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, at the above address.